Monday, August 12, 2013

Toddler Story Time - Shh... It's Nighttime!


This week’s theme changed directions several times while I was planning it.  But, I was really happy with the end results!  The theme was nighttime.  It primarily focused on the moon, but ended up with a sprinkling of stars too!    

Books I read…


Moongame by Frank Asch

This book was longer than the books I usually read.  I was a little concerned, but I read it first and we did make it all the way through!  It is a cute story about a bear playing hide and seek with the moon.  
 

Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

A wonderful story about a kitten who thinks the moon is a bowl of milk.  This story did not hold the little ones attention as well as I thought it would.  However, they did enjoy the kitten jumping into the pond! 


Goodnight Moon By Margaret Wise Brown

You simply cannot go wrong with this book!  This was a great way to end our busy story time.  I tried to read it slowly so it would bring the excitement level down a bit.  Most of the little ones sat very still throughout this book and I could see they were enjoying it.

How it went…


We began with the action rhyme Moon Ride from SurLaLune Storytime via Storytime Katie.  (Thanks: SurLaLune Storytime)  This was a great rhyme to begin with because it ends with “Sit back down, and I’ll read you a book.”  An awesome segue into book one! 

Do you want to go up with me to the moon?      (Point to friend, self, then to sky)
Let's get in our rocket ship and blast off soon!      (Pretend to climb in ship)
Faster and faster we reach to the sky.      (Jump and reach)
Isn't it fun to be able to fly?      (Stretch arms out)
We're on the moon, now all take a look.      (Look down)
Sit back down, and I'll read you a book.      (All sit down)

 
After reading our first book, we were back up on our feet with the song, The Moon Up Above
(to the tune of “The Wheels on the Bus”). 
 
The moon up above is      
Big and round                                  
Big and round                                  
Big and round                                  
The moon up above                       
Is big and round                              
In the sky                                          

The moon up above is
Near the stars 
Near the stars
Near the stars
The moon up above is
Near the stars
In the sky 

The moon up above helps
Me to sleep
Me to sleep
Me to sleep
The moon up above helps
Me to sleep
In my bed!

Our flannel this week was Hey Diddle Diddle!  The little ones love to look at the felts so Flannel Time is always a bit crazy.  Once I had all the pieces on the board, we were able to say the rhyme together, giggling along with the dog! 

With the felt pieces safely put away, I passed out bells and we jingled our way through Aikendrum from Raffi’s cd Singable Songs for the Very Young.  Most of the little ones were not familiar with this song, but Aikendrum was a man from in the moon after all, so it totally needed to be included in this story time!

Slowing it down a bit in anticipation for a quiet storytelling of Goodnight Moon, we did the fingerplay Stars.  (Thanks: Concord Public Schools) This sweet fingerplay was so much fun, we did it twice!  We followed it up by singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

At night I see the twinkling stars      (Fists up and open hands over your head)
And a great big smiling moon      (Circle arms overhead)
My Mommy tucks me into bed      (Lay pointer of one hand across the palm of the other hand)
And sings a good-night tune.      (Rock your hands back and forth)
 
This was my most well attended story time and the energy in the room was contagious!  It can be a little difficult to accomplish some activities with a large room of little ones.  But, overall it went fantastic!  I think everyone was ready for nighttime when it was over!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment