Friday, June 6, 2014

Flannel Friday - I Took My Frog to the Library

This week's Flannel Friday is inspired by another Flannel Friday post from the blog, Narrating Tales of Preschool Storytime.  I loved the finger puppets she used to tell the book I Took My Frog to the Library by Eric A. Kimmel.  I decided immediately that I needed my own flannel version of this super cute story.  I also decided to change up the wording just a little bit to make it more toddler friendly.

I Took My Frog to the Library
By Eric A. Kimmel

I took my frog to the library, but he jumped on the checkout desk and scared the librarian!
I took my chicken to the library, but she laid an egg by the computers.
I took my pelican to the library, but he hid a book in his beak!
I took my snake to the library, but she shed her skin all over the picture books!
I took my giraffe to the library, but he tried to read over everybody's shoulder.
I took my hyena to the library, but he laughed so hard during story time that nobody could hear the story!
I took my elephant to the library.  She was very well behaved.  She stacked her books neatly.  She asked the librarian questions.  She listened to the story and laughed in all the right places.
But my elephant is very big!  SO BIG!
She wrecked the library!  The bookshelves fell over!
The librarian said, "You are always welcome at the library, but please leave your animals at home."

So whenever I go to the library...
my frog stays home,
my chicken stays home,
my pelican stays home,
my snake stays home,
my giraffe stays home,
my hyena stays home,
and my elephant reads to them!

This flannel set was really easy to make.  I traced clip art from the Internet and drew in the faces and other features.  To save time, I used a combination of permanent markers and paint to add details.  I think I may make a library to add to this set at a later date.  I also plan on telling this story not reading it from the book (especially since I made changes to the wording).  I am really excited to use it in story time.  I hope the little ones like it!

Thank you to Storytime Katie for hosting Flannel Friday this week!  Please check out her blog HERE.  If you would like more information on Flannel Friday or how you can participate, click HERE!  Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment